- We went to the Fair. Some of us (Becky and Adam and I) went twice, enjoying the symmetry of the first day and the last day. It was nice to be able to visit some attractions with depth today, including sitting still for a skateboard exhibition, petting a bunch of dogs, and watching the Western Horse Show at the Coliseum.
- With regard to items submitted for competition: I didn’t win anything, and I’m kind of ready to take things to the next level. I am thinking about some spillyjane mittens or something for next year — something that is a teeny bit complicated and requires some concentration. Becky didn’t win anything either, but she did get an Honorable Mention ribbon and is on display (and she’s over the flipping MOON she’s so proud of herself).
- I made Cuban Beans & Rice from the new BH&G cookbook. Reasonably tasty, if a little bland (an ongoing problem with that particular book). It’s worth keeping, even if I can’t actually toss out my butter-scented old one. Le sigh.
- Why beans and rice, you ask? Because my husband is becoming a vegetarian. Which means that I am taking MANY steps in that direction myself, and also that I am learning a whole new way of thinking about food (snacks in particular, trying to be more plant-based about the whole thing). It’s sure to be an ongoing story, but right now we’re just trying to make sure everyone gets enough protein.
- Saw Crowded House on Saturday night. Neil Finn is not only, um, attractive, he actually sounds like that in real life. It was a great show, with lots of old favorites and a few new pieces. I hadn’t seen them since high school, and I think I will remember more about this show than I do about that one, which in my memory is just overly warm and kind of blue-looking. Fun fun.
- School starts tomorrow for A&B, and in earnest for me as well. Early mornings notwithstanding, things look promising.
- With regard to my 101 Things in 101 Days list: Knitted one sweater (#15); watched the Western horse show (#92); went to a live rock show (#96). Making progress on books and movies (#76 and 74 respectively).
I am half an hour past my bedtime, and I don’t know what I’m wearing to work tomorrow. Gotta get on that. Night, y’all.